Monday, October 20, 2014

Concerning Tuna: Well I guess I'm not the only one...

An article was just published entitled, "Conservationists condemn Malta's request to raise bluefin tuna quota." I just wrote a post about this very topic two days ago. I too, was concerned about this new development... However, I believe we must tread carefully. I don't think countries will be too pleased about putting in massive amounts of effort to reduce tuna fishing, only to be declined any sort of compensation. If this isn't played right, other countries will lose even more incentive to follow fishing quotas. Because, as we can now see with Malta, they may be denied any profit for their endeavors. I'm torn on this topic. I am thrilled that tuna populations are rising, and I see the ludicracy in rising quotas dumping us right where we were before, but I can see how this could end in catastrophe.

I'll be anxiously waiting, to see how this all plays out.

Pixabay (labeled for reuse)

No comments:

Post a Comment