Thursday, October 9, 2014

Concerning Belugas: Captain Nemo still at it

Beluga Webcam, courtesy of Vancouver Aquarium

Unfortunately, I haven't observed Nemo or Wake for a number of months, due to time constraints. It was only yesterday that I managed to spend some time observing the two of them.

I was curious to see whether or not Nemo (Aurora) was still exhibiting the "circuit swimming" behavior. I've come to believe this behavior isn't something that would happen in the mind, and is thus likely a compulsive disorder that has developed due to being held in captivity- however, I will research further into this theory. Unfortunately, the first thing I saw, was indeed, Nemo continuing with the circuit swimming- exactly as he was two months ago. I was, however, in for a surprise, when the two whales started to exhibit almost playful behavior (I will talk more about that in another post).

It is troubling to see that Nemo is still continuing with this circuit swimming: it has been going on for a minimum of three months, since I first started watching them. This behavior has evidently become a habit- maybe even a coping mechanism.

Here we can see the first leg of Nemo's journey: I can recognize it as Nemo, because of his very distinct raised formations on his underside (that look like a figure of eight when looked at straight on).







The second part of his journey can be seen here again, as he starts to turn around the boulder in the far end of the tank. Again notice the distinct ridges on Nemo's underside- which help me identify him.







Here you can kind of see the figure of eight I was talking about, as he turns around the boulder.











As he makes his way around the boulder, he rights himself, with belly down. He then tends to drift whilst making his way back towards the other end of the tank (which we unfortunately cannot see). When he's moving there he often lays dormant and floats, making his body streamlined, as can be seen in this image. Sometimes he'll beat his tail.


Here's an example of Nemo using his tail to propel himself forward in the water.




No comments:

Post a Comment