Friday, October 17, 2014

Concerning Belugas: Circuit training continues...

Beluga Webcam, courtesy of Vancouver Aquarium

As there is a time difference for me, I often catch Nemo and Wake when the tank is still dark. Although, for the most part I can't see anything, on occasion I see some pretty interesting things. The last time I spent some time watching the two of them in the dark, I saw Nemo swimming the circuit again... Because, the last time I watched them at night he was also exhibiting "circuit swimming" behavior, I'm wondering if his habit only extends to certain times. As I've gotten to know Nemo and Wake better, I've unequivocally seen that Nemo doesn't only circuit swim, however, there is no doubt that this is a behavior he frequently revisits. Thus fort he next few weeks, I'm going to be recording the times that I observe them, just to see if there is a time connection to this habit. But for now, these are the observations of the last night swim, unfortunately, I didn't record the times. Apologies in advance for the blurry images. Also, some of them are just black...

I'm always tempted to click away when this greats me. Then I catch a glimpse of Nemo :)
 The first leg of Nemo's journey (upside swimming). Unfortunately, it's still too dark for me to see anything beyond a meter of the camera.
The ridges that let me know, that this is indeed Nemo.
Probably swimming around the boulder and back around.
 Nemo's back. Next circuit...
 And the rest of the circuit.
He continued with this behavior for the duration that I observed him, but I think you get the point.










So for the next few weeks my beluga posts will largely be trying to figure out if Nemo's behavior is time sensitive. If I happen to see something else that's interesting I might post something, but don't expect it for now. Until sometimes in the future.

Don't stay up too late Nemo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment