Monday, October 20, 2014

Concerning Orcas: my opinion- the sciency side

Wikipedia (labeled for reuse)
In the previous post I talked about my opinion. I feel like I should expand on that. As I mentioned I've been following the news about this topic, basically, since it began. I've watched as one company after another withdrew their support from SeaWorld, and as the public grew more enraged about captive orcas. All the whilst demanding their release. Now, I've watched Blackfish, I've read the news, I've read some studies about orca intelligence. And I've contacted SeaWorld. SeaWorld, replied, and sent me a very generic email directing me to a number of links, mostly consisting of excuses.

Now, at the current state, I've got to agree with the general opinion that orcas should not be held in captivity- at least with current regulations. One thing that has really moved me towards this opinion is of course my love for marine animals (which should be quite evident at this point), and research in orca intelligence. Scientists have discovered that orcas a. have a larger brain than dolphins (poportionately so) and b. They have a part of the brain that we lack. Dolphins have often danced right along side the great apes in intelligence levels, a number of scientists now believe orcas surpass them. However, the most interesting part is that extra part of the brain. All humans have what is called the limbic system (located in the brain, for those unfamiliar with the word), this system is largely responsible for emotional response and memory. EMOTIONAL response. Now, orcas have a part of the limbic system that be lack. This goes to show that they are not only intelligent in the traditional sense, but they may be able to process emotion even better than humans. Now, with that in mind, should we keep them in captivity? I, personally, think not. Would it be morally correct to keep a human in a pen. Of course not. So should an animal with similar, perhaps even greater, intelligence than us be held in a tank of water, probably not. 

So I hope this helps to explain a little bit why, I think that orcas shouldn't be held in captivity. Well, the sciency side of it anyway, I'll do the hysterical approach another time (this is the approach that much of the media chooses). 

No comments:

Post a Comment