Saturday, October 18, 2014

Concerning Tuna: "Malta calls for a substantial increase in bluefin tuna quota after 'remarkable recovery'"

Wikipedia labeled for reuse
Just yesterday, "Malta Independent" released and article with the above title: "Malta calls for a substantial increase in bluefin quota after 'remarkable recovery'". Now I haven't seen the statistics that warrant a 'remarkable recovery', yet, if this is true, this is good news indeed. I am very much hopeful that we can yet save the tuna, if more countries impose strict quotas.

However, of course, the former part of the title is what worries me: "Malta calls for a substantial increase in bluefin quota." What, may I venture to ask, is the point of that? We get tuna stocks back to sustainable levels, only to fish them back to the brink of extinction. SERIOUSLY? That's like going on a diet for six months, losing 10kg; then as soon as you lose 10kg say, alright now give me the fast food. WHAT?!?

So summary: I was hopeful, for about 10 seconds, before realizing they want to start fishing again.

Make up your mind humanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment