Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Concerning Kingdom Animalia: Meet the Animals- that I know of...

I first started this blog, June of this year. It was originally going to be a temporary thing, but it's no longer so. Anyway, throughout this time I've been observing a number of animals. For the newcomers, I've decided to make a post detailing the animals that I observe more frequently, and their names, and how to recognize them.

I do observe some other animals, especially in the shark tank, but I'm afraid, for now, I can't tell them apart. Bear with me, whilst I figure it out- you might be waiting for a while...

I cannot not start with Captain Nemo. I first watched him in June, and I haven't stopped. The first time I saw Nemo, I noticed this odd circuiting behavior, which I am still monitoring.
Anyway, this is him (who is actually a her).
From just this picture, it may be hard to identify him. But here is what you should look out for, to distinguish between Nemo and Wake (the other beluga in the tank).
Do you notice these very defined ridges near the beginning of his tail? Wake doesn't have these ridges, so if you see them you are looking at Nemo.






Here's what these 'ridges' look like when he's showing his belly. I call it his "figure eight". So if you hear me mention it, that's what I'm talking about.









I've already mentioned Wake, but here's him. There are two whales in Vancouver Aquarium's Beluga tank. Check out my other posts to get details that Vancouver provided me with. Realize, that both of these whales are actually female, one of which is the mother. I started off calling them Wake and Nemo, and when I found out their actual names, I couldn't say goodbye to Wake and Nemo, so there you have it.



















Hi Wakey. Basically, the only way I know that it's Wake, and not Nemo, is the absence of said ridges. But, keep in mind, he does have ridges, just nowhere near as extreme, and noticeable as Nemo's.








So that' Vancouver Aquarium's Belugas. Next are the sharks. As I side before, there are dozens more sharks than I've been able to identify. But for now these are the two that I can tell apart.




















So this is Bruce. As you can probably tell, I've watched Nemo far too many times. I can tell him apart, because, as far as I can tell, he's the only Sandtiger shark in the exhibit. And I think it goes without saying he has a pretty memorable appearance- cough, teeth.

And the other shark I've been able to identify is Solomon the Saw shark. Again, because it seems as if he's the only sawshark in the tank. So meet Solomon the Sawshark- again for those who've read my other posts.




















No comments:

Post a Comment