Sunday, October 19, 2014

Concerning Belugas: Nemo and Wake or Aurora and Qila?

Beluga Webcam, courtesy of Vancouver Aquarium

As you may know (I've written about it in a previous post), a Vancouver Aquarium representative answered some questions that I sent her in an email. I now know that the two whales are in fact female (I had actually inferred that much beforehand, because two males seldom live in company). I also know that they are called Aurora and Qila. Nonetheless, I don't know which one is Aurora (the mother) and which one is Qila (daughter), although, someone pointed out that Aurora may be the whale I've been describing as Nemo, as she was taken from the wild, and may thus be stressed in captivity.
I wanted to write this post just to clarify that we do indeed know the real names, genders, and ages, but forgive me if I still call them Nemo and Wake and "he". No reason other than, I don't know which one is Aurora and which one is Qila, so might as well use made up names, and I've become quite fond of Nemo and Wake.
So for now I'll stick with Nemo and Wake.

Thank you to Vancouver Aquarium for providing this unique opportunity to observe these whales! I'll be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment