Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Concerning Fish (in general): Have you been living under a rock?!!?!

Whenever I see articles such as this one: Eating Fish Could Help Antidepressants Work. I have not an inkling of how I should feel. I am happy, that someone, in this case someone suffering from depression, may be able to lead a better life; I am saddened that even more fish will probably be consumed as a result; and I am angry that people are still encouraging people to eat more fish (hence the title). It makes me wonder, what these people are thinking. Do they not realize that fish stocks are at an all time low? That many of our staple fish species are at the brink of collapse? That fish stocks can't even support current rates, let alone an increase? Are they simply ignorant? Or just don't care?

Of course, I support new research, that can improve suffering peoples' lives. But at what cost?

What angers me the most, is that in this case there are alternative solutions. They say eat fish. Fantastic. Make it even more likely for the ecosystem to collapse. Just go right on ahead. But, what they are talking about is Omega 3, and it's properties. I hear about this compound quite a bit, Omega 3. Fish, happen to have the highest concentration of the stuff, thus when something 'magical' is discovered about the substance, they tell people to eat fish. You realize there are other things that contain Omega 3? Such as seaweed. Is seaweed endangered? Can we cultivate seaweed independently of the ocean? YES. So what should we be encouraging people to eat: seaweed? Or fish, that are already on the brink of collapse?

What do you think would be the wise decision?

Wikimedia commons (labeled for reuse)

No comments:

Post a Comment