Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Poldark Season 1 Episode 3

Labeled for reuse link
Well.... This took an unsuspecting turn... Nothing exceptionally weird, but I sense I won't be continuing my viewership. As I've mentioned previously I'm quite a fan of period pieces. What I'm not a fan of are dramas... Perhaps I should have listened to the end of this trailer. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the occasional drama, however, it has become quite apparent that this show is a drama, first and foremost, and pretty much nothing else.

It follows a somewhat similar structure to that of Merlin and Robin Hood, but strays from the comedy that they presented. Where Merlin and Robin Hood sought to retell these famous legends, Poldark looks more at relationships. Not saying they aren't interesting, but I don't enjoy shows where that is the main idea. If there is nothing besides romance present, I find myself losing interest. Merlin was more focused on the development of King Arthur, and his (platonic) relationship with Merlin. His (non-platonic) relationship with Guinevere does not take main stage. This is not the case with Poldark. It is a decent show, set in an interesting period of history, but I'm afraid it is not my  genre. I gave it a try because it was BBC, and I've quite enjoyed their past shows, however, this is not quite my cup of tea.

I might still yet watch a couple episodes if I'm having a particularly lazy day, but I wouldn't look for any more reviews from me.
Sorry guys. All the best Poldark.

One more comment... The show also seems very rushed. Even if (pure) dramas were something I enjoyed, I would be annoyed at the pace the story unfolds.  What about some character development? Not even that, what about developing the familiarity between different characters? Anyway, that's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment