Friday, March 20, 2015

5 Shows You Should Consider Watching

Although I follow a number of the more well-known tv shows, I also follow my fair share of other shows, without as much of a cult following. Some of you may have heard of of these series before, and if you're watching them, great! If not you might want to check them out.

Merlin
Ultrapublications, labeled for reuse
First and foremost, this brilliant piece of cinematography.

It's a period piece, which I generally enjoy
It's a medieval history piece, which is even better
It's BBC, they have a pretty good track record in my opinion
Brilliant, brilliant chemistry between the two leads, the comedic timing for both of them is spot on
It's literally about Merlin. You know the wizard whose destiny it is to protect King Arthur. What more could you want?
"In a land of myth and a time of magic, the destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young boy- his name Merlin." - I accidently memorized this...

Unfortunately, this show was cancelled a few years ago, so don't be looking for any new episodes. Nonetheless, this three season epic is certainly worth watching. 


Robin Hood
flickr labeled for Another BBC production, and just as good as all the others

Another medieval piece, and again a well-known legend (Robin Hood, I hope that's obvious to you)
I can't actually remember if I ever finished watching this show, but from what I remember it was fantastic
Again the two main characters have great chemistry, and play off each other very well.
Like with Merlin comedic timing is gold. Well maybe silver...
Again, there seems to be a trend starting here, the show was cancelled. So that's definitely annoying.


Poldark
wikipedia labeled for reuse
I've already briefly written about this show a couple days ago. Since there are only 2 episodes thus far, all I can say is so far so good.
And you guessed it, it's another BBC show. And yes. It is another period piece.Just look at it like this, if you like one of the above three, you'll probably like all of them. Incidentally, I tried watching BBC's musketeers, which came out to replace the cancelled Merlin ;(, but that one I did not enjoy. I don't even think I made it through the first episode. If you'd like you could give it a try, but personally, I didn't find it particularly riveting. 


Gotham
Deviantart Hugh Jazz





This show I'd be surprised if some of you hadn't heard of it before. It's one of the many DC shows, that have been coming out recently. I, of course, also watch the Flash and Arrow, and I only left them off this list, because I figured the majority of people already know about them. And those that don't, probably don't want to watch them... Anyway, I feel like this show might not have quite as many followers, but I've got to say it's a fantastic show. Utterly captivating, and twistingly dark, it is certainly an attention grabber. It has a similar dark theme to the one Nolan introduced, although decidedly different. Following the rise of James Gordon and the beginnings of Batman, it takes an interesting new route. The only issue I've had with it thus far is their missed opportunities. For once it wasn't necessary to kill Bruce's parents off from the beginning, but lo and behold, they are shot in episode one. (Sorry, spoiler alert).
Highly recommend it. Although, if you are more of a fan of the Flash, this show is very different. There are no meta-humans, and the tone is much darker. If you are more familiar with Arrow, it is slightly more among those lines, although, I'd argue more twisted. Only because of the state of Gotham. You'll get what I mean if you watch it.


Shark Tank
Wikimedia commons, labeled for reuse
Surprise! Not BBC or superhero tv shows. A reality tv-show. Although, I'm not really sure if this constitutes as reality TV... I feel like some of you may be familiar with shark tank, and others not so much... The main reason why I watch this show is because I have a general interest in economics, I feel a basic understanding of the subject is vital when dealing with animal conservation. So yeah. This particular show has a lot more to do with an area of economics called "Theory of the Firm", the people going on the show are seeking investments from the "sharks", as they are all stuck in the short term plant period. So in order to expand, or meet demand they are looking for investors to increase their capital thus reaping the benefits of economies of scale. So that's why I find it interesting, in itself it can be quite enjoyable to watch, some of the product ideas people have can be quite innovative, and other times completely ridiculous.

So if you're looking for a new show, there you have it. Happy watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment