Thursday, December 25, 2014

"Last Goodbye"


For some foresight, you need to realise that I rarely cry. And when I mean rarely, I mean essentially never. Unless I'm watching an animal movie, in which case, I bawl like a baby. I didn't cry when reading The Fault in Our Stars (If I'm being honest, I don't even quite remember what it's about), nor did I cry when Dumbledore died. However, I did cry when watching War Horse, when reading, The Yearling, Marley and Me, and any number of other animal based books/movies.

Before you get your hopes up, no, I didn't cry when listening to Billy Boyd's Last Goodbye, I did, however, come close to it. Which is more than, any other song has done before. There I sat in the theatre, watching what was the last journey in Middle Earth, and then this song came on. It hit all the right chords, it told the end of Bilbo's journey, but not only that, the end of our journey. Viewers of The Return of the King have already had the pleasure of listening to Pippin, who's eerie voice weaves a spell over its listeners. This was their goodbye to us, all the films are made, both Bilbo and Frodo, have accomplished what they set out to. For avid fans, like me, this was our final farewell.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that Peter Jackson will get the rights to the Silmarillion, which is a downright shame. Maybe, we should start a petition: let Peter Jackson make the Silmarillion. Maybe a fool's hope, will come true: there's a first time for everything.

Robin_waarts Flickr "labeled for reuse"
Needless to say, the music video copyright is held by WarnerBros studios.

No comments:

Post a Comment