Saturday, December 27, 2014

Broken Symmetry A Mere Review

Pixabay "labeled for reuse"
I've been, what's some people call, a bookie, for as long as I can remember. Starting off with the 50+ (original) Nancy Drew novels, I was sucked into the world of literature, and it hasn't loosened its grip since. 

Over the years I've gotten a distinct sense of what I like and don't like. Of course I've had my pitfalls, for a brief and terrible time, I read the Twilight Series: hours of my life that I will never get back. I've also been through my fair share of romantic books, which are predictable, to put it lightly. Nowadays, with little time to spare, I try to stay away from insubstantial works, leaning more towards fantasy and science fiction. Nonetheless, I do occasionally read the less than 'classic' book, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoy them (not always). 

Somewhat recently I purchased and read a book, going by the name of Broken Symmetry by Dan Rix. I'd never heard of the book nor author, prior to this. The initial thing that struck me, was the odd formatting of the book, for some reason they used quite heavy weighted paper, making a 450 page book, feel like the hard-cover copy of Brisingr. Let's just say it took some getting used to. 

We call it being orphaned. It's the worst fate imaginable.You're trapped inside the reflection.. forever. Got it?

This book, is certainly not one of my favourites, although, I never expected it to be- so it didn't really fail on that point. I point I have to make, the idea of the book is fantastic, although, Rix doesn't create a whole new world, he makes our world a whole heck of a lot more interesting. The issue, is more with the writing itself, it most certainly isn't bad, however, it isn't what I'm used to. The main character, for the most part, is unlikeable, and a number of side-characters are neglected. What's more I deduced the ending a couple chapters before it ended. Granted, this is much better than a lot of books, however, it does lose something when you can figure it out before-hand.

All in all, I'd recommend this book if you want a quick and fun read. If you want a book that you'll never forget, that you can submerse your mind into, may a recommend something else. If I'm ever in the need of such a book again, I might think about another one of Rix's.

No comments:

Post a Comment