Monday, June 22, 2015

Interstellar: A review

Labeled for reuse link
Finally. I know it took quite some time for me to get around to actually watching this movie. But I have. I finally have. First off, I stand by my opinion that Nolan is a genius, and at the very least an artist.

Before I get into this, I need to say that I really enjoyed this movie. I'm just going to point out some of the flaws that I had with it. Which is not a lot, but there are a few.

Now going into this movie I knew very little about it. I knew it has something or other to do about Matthew McConaughey going into space. And that's about it. Also, I did not know how to spell his last name, luckily my browser seems to have his last name stored into its dictionary. For some extraordinary reason.

Anyway, first I need to give this movie kudos because of the lack of romance. Let me elaborate, when I saw McConaughey's character and Hathway I thought, yup they're going to be the love interests. Oh, I should probably mention that there are spoilers in this review. Although, I'd be kind of surprised is there was someone who got around to watching this movie later than me. So back on track, the story chooses instead not to go there, at least for the majority of the movie. At the end it is implied, however, it is literally in the last minute of the movie. Instead this movie focuses on a different kind of love. The love between a father and a daughter .

And here comes my first bone to pick: the son. The father and daughter relationship is so strong that their love is "quantifiable", and what of the son? It seems like the dad doesn't care in the slightest for the son, he's just sort of there. Which begs the question, why is he there in the first place? It just makes McConaughey's character seem uncharacteristically cold, which clashes uncomfortably with his undying love for his daughter. Also, if I'm not mistaken, we never do find out what happens to the son. I presume he dies, but it is never verified, nor does the father seem particularly distraught about the news.

Well that was the first issue I had with the movie, the second was the inconsistency with the ending of the movie. Throughout much of the movie the story was based in scientific fact, or at least theory. Then all of sudden we find out that there is a fifth dimension run by aliens that we never see. Which throws the whole scientific aspect of this movie to the wind.

Finally, as others have pointed out, the ending is a little anti-climatic. McConaughey's character beats all odds to see his daughter again, then he does. For about 30 seconds. Whereupon she promptly kicks him out of her room, in order to die with her family. Not including him. So yeah.

All that said, it was still a pretty amazing movie, and the cinematography is breathtaking. If you haven't seen it (which is unlikely) do give it a shot.


Featured image: I believe it is just using the video as an image. I can't really be bothered to go find a different image. So this is the video background. What can I say.


Spelling/grammar errors courtesy of this being a blogpost and thus not really edited.

Drinking: Oolong tea (chilled that is)

No comments:

Post a Comment