Saturday, July 25, 2015

Bircher Muesli

Uk Wikipedia "Labeled for reuse"
Recently I've been seeing a number of recipes for "Overnight Oats", it is apparently a new discovery. Well, I'm here to tell you, it's not. The Swiss have been eating what has now been dubbed "Overnight oats" for a long time (I'm not sure of the exact amount of time)... Except, they call it "Bircher Muesli". Which is essentially the same thing, just thought I'd point out, it's been invented before.

Ingredients
Yogurt (greek or skyr if you want to be healthy)
Oats (or ready made buechermuesli mix)

The yogurt 
The sky is the limit on this one, you can essentially use any type of yogurt: however, I do advise trying to match flavours.
Some flavours to consider:
Coconut
Strawberry (probably the most traditional)
Au Natural
Honey (Greek yogurt)
Peach
Chocolate... (I've never tried it)
Stracciatella
Passion Fruit

Optional ingredients
Raisins
Cranberries
Coconut flakes
Apple chunks
Banana
Strawberry
Blueberry
Chia seeds
Almonds (sliced usually)
Flax seeds
Sunflower seeds
Pear
Cherries

Instructions
Really, Bircher Muesli, must be one of the simplest things to make. Chuck everything in to a bowl (I usually use a jar, so I can eat it on the run), mix it together, and leave it in the fridge. Come morning, the oats will have soaked up some of the liquid, and you have yourself "overnight oats". Which I will always call, Bircher Muesli. Enjoy this rather healthy mealtime option (most eat this for breakfast).
Personally, as I'm a raging geek, I like to think I'd bring this on a quest. For the first day at least, as there is dairy, it isn't really advisable to keep it in the sun- unless of course your quest is to get food poisoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment