Saturday, June 28, 2014

Concerning Belugas: Breaking the Circuit (Wake)

Beluga Webcam, courtesy of Vancouver Aquarium

Disclaimer: Any images, unless otherwise specified, are screenshots that I've taken from the above linked webcam.


Wake has been somewhat of a mystery to me: whereas Nemo has been very forthcoming with his appearance, Wake only appears on occasion.

Today I was actually trying to observe Nemo's obsessive circuit swimming, as is such I had the webcam running in the background, as luck would have the next time a glanced at the screen I saw two Belugas.


Wake had decided to make an appearance. 

Before I continue I wish to clarify something: as I am unaware of the gender of the Belugas I'm going to refer to them as both male. I realize the unlikelihood of this suggestion, but bear with me. The sole reason for this is to relieve me of the hassle of writing "he/she". 

Anyway, the first thing I noticed was, a lack of circuiting: which I do believe is a good thing. However, after observing Wake for a longer period of time I did start to notice some repitious behavior: nowhere near as obsessive as Nemo however. 

Wake always seems to stop for air in the far left corner. Not only that that location seems to be his base for odd behaviour.

Nemo is on the right Wake is on the left
Wake (when he's around) frequently occupies the far left corner.
I noticed that he does a weird shimmy on occasion. The best way I describe it is a sort of wiggle. He begins by swimming towards the ground (holding is body vertically), then returns to the surface.



Often after the shimmying behaviour Wake spends a large amount of time with his head exposed to the surface.
At first I thought he might be getting fed, however, that would beg the question why Nemo is never exhibiting this unusual behaviour.
He often stays in this vertical position for a good 20 seconds.



Wake doesn't seem to be duplicating Nemo's circuit, as is shown here. Wake is swimming back to the invisible part of the exhibit while on his side. I haven't seen this behaviour with Nemo. Nemo, only swims while on his side when turning around, whereas Wake seems to do this for greater distances.



Another example of Wake's odd shimmying behaviour.
The motion is almost comparable to that of a snake, just in water.
I will have to do further research on this behaviour later.










Downward swimming.
The odd thing is that there doesn't seem to be anything down there- least of all food. Thus making me wonder if this is another form of obsessive swimming.
This is the first step in Wake's shimmy.





Image of the odd lengths of time spent with his head exposed to the surface.










The two Belugas don't seem to interact with one another, although Belugas are known to be large vocal communicators, and unfortunately there is no sound capabilities on this webcam.
Nemo is on the left, running through his circuit.
Wake is towards the right.




Wake's shimmying behaviour.
Although, he moves when running through this behaviour it is hardly a useful propulsionary tool.
My best guess is it's another version of a obsessive compulsive disorder.







Wake, granted rarely, sometimes swim against the 'gradient' circuit.
Whereas, Nemo has, as far as I've seen, never swum in the opposite direction.











No comments:

Post a Comment